Sunday, April 13, 2008

Best Pickles Ever

This is a picture of ajar of pickles that I picked up at the Town and Country Farmers Market a couple weeks ago. They were like 12 bucks, yikes! But I shelled it out anyway as part of a "food themed" gift for my husband. Man was it worth the money. These are the best pickles with such an intense garlicky herby flavor. My 9 month old son can't stop sucking on the juice. That is his hand below.

The pickles are made with Burr Gherkins from McClendon's Farm - they're fat and short and spiny. I hadn't seen a Burr Gherkin but looked up a bit of info on them. According to the wikipedia page about Burr Gherkins, they are also referred to as the West Indian Burr Gherkin and should be harvested before they get bigger than 1 1/2 in. or they get bitter and tough.

They are so super fun to eat and I'm not sure if they are still available (I'm thinking not) but if you run across them, please pick them up!

Posted by Picasa